Robert Ficalora, MD, FACP Program DirectorBillings Clinic Profile
Robert D Ficalora, MD, is Board Certified in Internal Medicine. Dr. Ficalora currently serves as the Program Director of Internal Medicine Residency here at Billings Clinic. Dr. Ficalora mentors students, residents and faculty though their respective career and is a role he considers most important – and a most pleasant challenge.
Before 2013, Dr. Ficalora held the rank of Associate Professor of Medicine at the Mayo Clinic, where he worked concurrently as Chair of Education Information Technology and Senior Associate Program Director of the Internal Medicine Residency Program for the Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education as well as Chair of Fourth Year Medicine at the Mayo Medical School. Dr. Ficalora completed his undergraduate work at Fairfield University, Fairfield, CT and later went on to receive his Doctor of Medicine at SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine. Afterwards Dr. Ficalora completed his Residency Training at Baystate Medical Center, the Western Campus of Tufts University School of Medicine.
Dr. Ficalora brings tremendous experience to the Internal Medicine Residency team. Dr. Ficalora is extremely excited to be a part of Billings Clinic’s Internal Medicine Residency program. Dr. Ficalora believes it is an exciting opportunity having a new education program in an environment of excellent quality and safety, care of the underserved, and a patient-centered medical home, while innovating in a new environment.
Outside of work Dr. Ficalora likes to restore antiques, do home improvements and spend time with his wife and five children. Dr. Ficalora also enjoys staying in touch with physicians who he has trained, but who seek occasional advice as they reach new stages of their career development.
Honors for Dr. Ficalora include:
Mayo Clinic Internal Medicine Residency – Outstanding Teacher Of Physical Exam Skills (2012)
Mayo Clinic Division of General Internal Medicine Excellence in Education Award (2011)
Mayo Clinic Department of Medicine Innovations in Education Award (2010)
Mayo Awards for Excellence – Excellence Through Teamwork Award for the Integrated Scheduling and Evaluation System Implementation Team (2007)
Mayo Clinic Mayo Fellows Association Teacher of the Year (2007)
Mayo Internal Medicine Residents award for “Outstanding Teacher of Physical Exam Skills (2006)
Mayo Clinic Mayo Fellows Association Teacher of the Year (2005)
Mayo Medical School Department of Medicine Education Award (2005)
Internal Medicine Residency Outstanding Teacher in Physical Diagnosis (2005)
Mayo Medical School Award for Excellence in Teaching (2005)
Dr. Ficalora has countless publications related to his various contributions to science.
- Brown RB, Sands M, Ficalora RD, Jaciow DM. Concurrent Community Acquired Pneumonia with Legionella Pneumophila and Streptococcus pneumonia. Southern Medical Journal, 80:401-402, March 1987.
- Ficalora RD, Norchi TW. The Strong Resident: Making the Most of A Good Situation-Careers in Internal Medicine, Fall 1993. [This was a peer reviewed journal sponsored by APDIM that has been discontinued].
- Ficalora RD. Improving the Productivity of an Educationally Oriented OPD. Careers in Internal Medicine, Spring 1994. [This was a peer review journal sponsored by APDIM that has been discontinued].
- Ramakrishna G, McDonald FS, Ebbert JO, Montori V, Ficalora RD, Schultz HJ. “MorningReport.com – Novel Teaching Modalities, Educational Resources, and Electronic Tools for Morning Report” Journal of General Internal Medicine Volume 16, April (Supplement 1) 2001.
- West CP, Kolars JC, Eggert CH, Kennedy CC, and Ficalora RD. Changing morning report: evaluation of a transition to an interactive mixed learner format in an internal medicine residency program. Teaching and Learning in Medicine 2006 Fall; 18(4):330-5.)
- Ficalora RD, Gerhart JL. This overuse injury is often misunderstood and mistreated. The Hospitalist Vol. 10 No 11 p13 November 2006
- Ficalora RD; Gerhart JL. Lateral thigh pain: A review of the Trochanteric bursae. The Hospitalist. Vol 11, No 4, p42-44, April 2007.
- Ficalora RD; Gerhart JL. Back Pain: A review of rhomboid spasm. The Hospitalist. Vol 12, No 5, p47-48, May 2007
- Colin P. West, MD, PhD and Robert D. Ficalora, MD, Clinician Attitudes Toward Biostatistics in Medicine Mayo Clinic Proceedings-August 2007;82(8):939-943
- Beckman, Thomas J. M.D.; Mandrekar, Jayawant N. Ph.D.; Engstler, Gregory J,: Ficalora Robert D,“Determining the Reliability of Clinical Assessment Scores in Real Time” Teaching and Learning in Medicine. April 2009 Vol. 21, #2. 188-194
- Darcy A. Reed; Colin P. West; Paul S. Mueller; Robert D. Ficalora; Gregory J. Engstler; Thomas J. Beckman Behaviors of Highly Professional Resident Physicians JAMA. 2008;300:1326-1333; September 17, 2008:(doi:10.1001/JAMA.300.11.1326)
- “The Impact of Adding One Month of ICU Training in a Categorical Internal Medicine Residency Program” Mullon JJ, Gajic O, Afessa B, Gali B, Ficalora RD, Kolars JC. Journal of Critical Care Medicine. – Vol 37, No 4 2009 pp1223-1228
- Beckman TJ, Lee MC, Ficalora RD. Experience with a medical education research group at the Mayo Clinic. Med Teach 2009; 31(6):518-21.
- Wittich CM, Ficalora RD, Mason TG, Beckman TJ. Musculoskeletal Injection. Mayo Clin Proc 2009 Sep; 84(9):831-6; quiz 837.
- Smith, JH*; Nisha L. Jacobs, NL; Ficalora, RD. 52-Year-Old Woman With Intractable Nausea and Vomiting. Mayo Clin Proc. March 2010;85(3):280-283. doi:10.4065/mcp.2009.0173
- Smith JH, Ficalora RD. In reply. Mayo Clin Proc 2010; 85(8):772.
- Mark L. Wieland, Laura L. Loertscher, Darlene R. Nelson, Jason H. Szostek, Robert D. Ficalora (2010) A Strategy to Reduce Interruptions at Hospital Morning Report. Journal of Graduate Medical Education: Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 83-84.
- Thackeray EW, Halvorsen AJ, Ficalora RD, Engstler GJ, McDonald FS, Oxentenko AS. The effects of gender and age on evaluation of trainees and faculty in gastroenterology. Am J Gastroenterol. 2012 Nov; 107(11):1610-4..
- Bush RW, Leblond RF, Ficalora RD Establishing the First Residency Program in New Sponsoring Institutions: Addressing Health Care Disparity with the GME Pipeline. Journal Of Graduate Medical Education , June 2016
- Eric S. Holmboe, Robert Ficalora, Stephanie Call Viewpoint: Milestones and Competency-based Medical Education in Internal Medicine, JAMA Education Issue September 2016 in press
Integrated Scheduling and Evaluation System patent application with MMV, 2004
Continuous internal statistical validation of learner assessment -Pat Pending with MMV, 2005.