Steve Gerstner, MD, FACP Program DirectorBillings Clinic Profile
Steve Gerstner, MD, is Board Certified in Internal Medicine. Dr. Gerstner serves as the Program Director for Internal Medicine Residency here at Billings Clinic. Dr. Gerstner admires the entirety of internal medicine while having no special preference in terms of subject or patient matters of what he teaches.
A native of Ten Sleep, Wyoming, Dr. Gerstner found his way back to the region to help deliver medical care. Dr. Gerstner completed his undergraduate degree from the University of Wyoming and was then accepted into the UCLA School of Medicine. From there Dr. Gerstner earned his Doctor of Medicine and joined the University of Washington School of Medicine to complete his Residency in Internal Medicine. After completion of his internal medicine residency in 1989, Dr. Gerstner accepted a position in the internal medicine department here at Billings Clinic where he has spent his entire career. He has served on several leadership positions at Billings Clinic, more recently serving as the Internal Medicine department chair, on the Primary Care Operations Committee, and on the Billings Clinic operating council. He is a fellow of the American College of physicians and just accepted a position on the ACP Montana Governors Council this year.
Honors for Dr. Gerstner include:
- Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Washington School of Medicine (selected by students) 2010-2011, 2020-2021
- Richard M. Tucker WWAMI (University of Washington School of Medicine) Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award 2017, 2020
- Billings Clinic Internal Medicine Residency Attending of the Year (selected by residents) 2016-2017
- Montana ACP Chapter Resident Teacher of the Year 2017
- Montana ACP Chapter Lifetime Achievement Award 2019
- Montana ACP Chapter Laureate Award 2020